I have so many projects, where do I begin?

Share pics of your bike, projects, and/or yourself with everyone

I have so many projects, where do I begin?

Postby Pman71 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 am

Ok, most of my story will have to be picture form because I have been doing so much it would be almost impossible to list them all. I started with your basic 2002 VTX1800R. I traded it for a full dress Harley Ultra Classic FLHTCU. When I traded, I was given exhaust, bags, sissy bar and a windshield (grips I never used too). I ordered a Hyper Charger Pro, PCIII, tank bib, Lindy bars and a bunch of chrome add on's. This was about 5 or 6 years ago. Now, I started adding a bunch of neat little thing to make my life better like Ultimate X seats, Faring, drink holder, GPS and holder, gauges, stereo, heated gear and things that power the gauges. I also designed and built a hidden tow hitch for the R model.

And now on to my latest projects and paint:

There is so much more I could share, I am trying to give a little feel for what I have been doing since about July of last year. Hit me up, I have about 1,000 pictures or more if you have questions on any of it. Oh, and I am sure there is a ton of things I forgot.
Pman71

Bike: 2002 VTX 1800 R

Advertisement

Re: I have so many projects, where do I begin?

Postby Bareass172 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Looking good so far, I'm looking forward to the pics when you get everything back from paint and back together. :thumb:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Postby Pman71 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:47 pm

I know, me too. thought I would make my own thread instead of pirating a thread that belongs to someone else. lol The parts are done in paint, I have to wait for John to get back from Mexico. He is on vacation until Friday (hey today!!!!) I believe, I hope......I can't stand it! Then it will take him a day or two to paint the graphics and another day or two for clear coat. So, hopefully, no more that another week. This is killing me!
Pman71

Postby Pman71 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Ok, I got the idiot lights in the dash fairing working (except the oil light) less one. I will work on it later:

Here is some of the wiring before it is placed out of the way in clamps and wrapped in plastic conduit:

When it is all finished up it should be a lot more organized. Wires are separated by there function.

The bright light around the Stereo nob was toned down with an O-ring:

Pman71

Postby Bareass172 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Looking good so far, did you get the idiot lights with the fairing? I'm just curious, when I did the last one for my friend I recommended finding the idiot light panel to incorporate it, but the fairing he had didn't come with it so he didn't bother running one down.

Getting all those wires organized and stable was a mess. I used a combination of P clamps and self adhesive tabs that I could ziptie to. I'm not a fan of split loom wire wrap ever since I discovered Tech Flex a few years ago. If you're not familiar with that stuff you may want to check it out. It's a braided loom that comes in a million variations. You can find dealers all over the net, Amazon, Ebay, etc.

http://www.techflex.com/

My only other question would be why you put the fuse block inside the fairing? If something blows you have to open the fairing just to change a fuse.

Looking great though. :thumb:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Pman71 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 am

lol the least of my worries would be opening the faring to change a fuse. lol When I purchased the faring it came with all of the gauges, inner and outer faring, a Harley wiring harness and speakers. It did not come with radio brackets (big black ones going top to bottom) or speaker brackets (silver going left to right). The idiot light came with it. Everything in the second picture from the top.

I actually like the orange "Flexible, Semi-Rigid Wrappable Split Braided Tube" then you tie that with lock stitch or zip ties. Yeah I have used that on airplanes but, never on a vehicle. I actually did not know where to find it, thank you.

If you did not notice, I do have double fuse blocks stacked. I am going to get a larger power feeder once I get going but, I am still in the process of cleaning it all up. I want to make sure everything is in working order first. I have a Power Commander on my tool box lid. That was not an option.
Pman71

Postby Bareass172 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:22 am

Pman71 wrote:If you did not notice, I do have double fuse blocks stacked. I am going to get a larger power feeder once I get going but, I am still in the process of cleaning it all up. I want to make sure everything is in working order first. I have a Power Commander on my tool box lid. That was not an option.

I have looked at the pic over and over again, I only see one fuse block. You say it's "stacked", is it hidden under the other?

What are you planning on running in the fairing that you need an additional or larger power wire? Just curious. I loved the idea of being able to use the trailer plug for the fairing, relatively waterproof, indestructible, simple, and easy to unplug if need be. I considered a lot of other options and none gave me the same versatility.
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Pman71 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Yes, the fuse panels are stacked. One on top and one on bottom with an aluminum bracket sandwiched between the two. I did not have near enough slots in one panel. I did install the Tach today. Got a little worried so I had to research the actual tack wire and where it hooked in, blew about 3 or 4 hours of day light or I would have been done today. Oh, my paint is now going on hold for a bit (graphics), I am going to go pick my parts up and save it for later.

Pman71

Postby Bareass172 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Looking good, I can't wait to see the finished job. Why the hold on the graphics? Got the itch to ride too bad? :elated:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Pman71 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:29 am

I do have the itch to ride but, the big issue: I rent a house from a lady. They purchased a house a couple of years ago (I was in Colorado at the time) and put this up for rent. I was looking for a place to rent so I could move back by my family property (without actually being on the property). I found the place, hauled off the junk that was here and made it my own. Well, the landlord came to me and told me her husband was selling the house they recently purchased. So, she is giving us 2 months to get out.lol I told her it was bad timing but, not to worry, I will see what I can do. Houses are for sale and rent all over, this lady has treated us like family and it is just one of those things. Since the graphics work was never started, that is a good chunk of change I could use towards relocating. Just life.
Pman71

Postby Driven555 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:34 am

wow....nice bike!.....love the color
Driven555

Bike: 2008 Custom Softail Chopper

Postby Bareass172 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Pman71 wrote:Just life.

I gotcha. Good luck with the move. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Pman71 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 pm

It's not the first time I have moved but, it is the first time for this. I actually spent a lot of time and money cleaning the place up and making it really nice (nicer than it was) and built a flower box out front, garden out back ect. ect.
Pman71

Postby Pman71 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Pman71

Postby Pman71 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Driven555 wrote:wow....nice bike!.....love the color

Hey, thank you. I love the color too. I didn't at first but, I do now. Since I was repainting, I stuck with the same color. I have pictures through the whole build so, if you need any information on mods I have done, I will be happy to share.
Pman71

Postby Bareass172 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Tach really came out clean, looks even better lit up. It looks like it has a shift light, right?
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Pman71 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Yes it has a shift light. I really like it. So much so, I am rethinking my gauges (after the move).

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/elite-10 ... gauge.aspx

2 1/16 Inch Black Face Gauge with a Magnified Tinted Lens
Reads from 0 to 10,000 RPM
Can be Installed into any 1 through 10 Cylinder Vehicle
Peak Recall Ability
Audible/Visual Programmable High and Low Warnings
10 Color LED Through Dial Lighting with Color Recall Ability
10 Solid Color Settings and Two Color Cycle Modes
Dimmer Wire Allows the Gauge to Dim 30%
6 Foot Tachometer Signal Wire
Dashboard Pod
Mounting Hardware
Installation Instructions
Free Lifetime Technical Support
One Year Limited Warranty
Pman71

Postby Bareass172 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:57 pm

I really, really like it... It's actually making me think about a fairing just so I can have gauges... Dick... :finger:

Obviously I'm J/K. :rofl:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Pman71 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 pm

That's funny.lol You are not the only one who has told me that. Hehehe
Pman71

Postby Pman71 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 pm

This one would be awesome, if they only had pictures of the inside somewhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wicked-Koncept- ... cc96b3b89=

Looks like it accepts my stock inner fairing. Cool!
Pman71

Next

Return to Showroom