home powder coating

Ask questions or share opinions, experiences, and advice for making your bike look good.

home powder coating

Postby Terrible TC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:46 am

Im thinking about buying a powder coating rig, just a home/hobby grade gun for small parts. Does anyone have any experience with these, especially the Eastwood or Caswell guns? Looks pretty fun to get into and really not that expensive besides the oven.
You mess with me, then you mess with the whole trailer park.
Terrible TC

Bike: 02 VTX1800R - Darksider

Advertisement

Re: home powder coating

Postby Bareass172 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:27 am

I've got the Eastwood gun, it's not professional grade but it works really well for doing small parts and such. As with painting the prep work is the key to a good finished product. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Postby Terrible TC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:51 pm

what do you use for an oven? Just an old oven?
One of my hobbies is half ass gunsmithing, basically I do everything half ass, sooner or later I get something right. But anyway, I have built a few rifles using old german mausers and basically turning them into tack driving bad motorfinger sniper/hunting rifles. To finish the steel, its fairly common to use a bake-on paint, instead of conventional blueing, that you spray on like paint and bake on like a powder coat. You can rig up your own ovens using the heater coils of old bathroom heaters or whatever and some insulated pipe. Man its been a few years since I even looked at this. It was pretty big pipe never the less. It was for basically when a regular oven just wouldnt do, pretty much for barrelled recievers. Anyway the stuff worked pretty well, and if you did the prep, it worked really good. Wow I got off topic again, anway back to the question, what do you do for an oven, an old one or ever build your own? Figure a small toaster oven woudl work but for somethign like wheels and forks, bigger would be better. ugh I can ramble.
Terrible TC

Postby Bareass172 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:25 am

I think we're both on the same page here. I used to use an old oven that I replaced after the hurricane but eventually got rid of. I have nothing now but a toaster oven and the actual kitchen oven (which I've always been told is a bad idea to use). Many times you can find old 220V ovens in the classifieds or on craig's list for $25-$50, just put it somewhere it's stable and plug it in.
As for bigger stuff, I have always believed that I could make one myself but have yet to ever try. I grew up in the Boy Scouts and learned how to make ovens for cooking when camping. We used a big cardboard box, lined it with aluminum foil (shiny side in) and when it was finished we'd push a thermometer (the pointy meat-type ones) through the top to gauge temperature in the box. We could put a few coals from a fire in the bottom and bake away... I always thought I could do the same thing on a bigger scale using some sort of electrical heater coil like you mention but have never tried it. The key is consistent temperature, so if you find a big enough box for your part and all the right bits and pieces to keep the temperature consistent I still believe it would work... :elated:

A little bit of mad scientist/redneck engineering at work here. :smoke:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Terrible TC » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:30 am

Bareass172 wrote:A little bit of mad scientist/redneck engineering at work here. :smoke:

good to hear, I dont feel so bad about the 55 gal drum and a duraflame idea then lol :scream:
Terrible TC

Postby Bareass172 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:38 am

Terrible TC wrote:good to hear, I dont feel so bad about the 55 gal drum and a duraflame idea then lol :scream:

LOL!
:rofl:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Skammer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:06 pm

LOL. Whatever you decide to try, make sure you try it far away from the house. We don't want to have a poker run to raise money to replace your home when things don't go as planned! :clap:
"Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?"

Skammer

Bike: 2002/Honda/VTXc

Postby Terrible TC » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:05 am

You must know me. Things never go as planned. :stupid:
Terrible TC

Postby IL-Mark » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:37 am

In the military, we built a oven out of aluminum and heat lamps. I don't remember much about it other than it got really hot. BTW that was almost 40 years ago.
IL-Mark

Bike: 2004 Honda VTX 1800 Retro

Postby Diozark » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:14 pm

500w Shop Lights, halogen get pretty hot, Put em in a plywood box lined with aluminum foil, should work nicely, and you can put a high temp limit switch in there too control the temp, not too hot.
Electric, on off easy :beer:
Diozark

Bike: Custom Buell Blast Chopper

Return to It's all in the details...