1800 Error Code Re-set Procedure All Models

This is an archive of any information relating to MC electrical.

1800 Error Code Re-set Procedure All Models

Postby BIGLRY » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:47 pm

OK, you have done an error code check by putting the kickstand down, key on, handlebar run switch on and you get a blinking red FI light on the dash or you just finished working on the X and have started for the first time and the red FI light is blinking madly at you. After counting 9 blinks and looking in the service manual to see what they mean...er whats that, you don't have a service manual for your X? Shame on you, but all is not lost, just go to Mikes site http://bareasschoppers.com/ECUcodes/ and look up what all them blinks mean.
Oops :oops: you forgot to hook up the IAT sensor (Incoming Air Temp) last time you had the air box off. So you correct that problem and the flashing red light has stopped, but the ECU has stored an error code and you want to get rid of it or as Honda calls it, "Self Diagnosis Reset" of the ECU. What follows is a 'How To Do' if ya don't have the manual.

I have attached pic of the old stile, two wire 'service check' connector pre 04 32-pin ECU all models and the new stile four wire 'service check' connector for 04 up 22-pin ECU, all models. The procedure for checking and resetting the ECU is the same for ALL models and all years VTX1800
First the old:
This black, two wire connector (pre 04 32-pin ECU, all models) is located under the seat with a green and brown wire coming out of it. Seat must be removed to access connector. The 'Service Check Connector' is not connected to anything it just lays there next to the ECU. I moved mine to under the left side cover so seat removal is not necessary to use it.

Now the new:
This red, four wire 'service check' connector (04 and up, 22 pin ECU all models) is located under seat with Green, Brown, Green/orange and Black/white wires coming out of it. Seat must be removed to access connector. This connector has a cover over it and it must be removed to use, a simple snap holds the cover in place, be sure to reinstall the cover after use.The 'Service Check Connector' is not connected to anything, it just lays there next to the ECU.

The procedure to check for stored error codes and reset the ECU is the same for ALL years ALL models. Honda wants you to use their big $ diagnostic checking tool that plugs into this connector or make an appointment with the dealer and pay some pimply faced kid to plug it in and give you the news that you forgot to hook up the IAT sensor.
No need for that here is the trick. You use the connector just like the old stile two wire connector and read the stored errors codes (if any) on the dash and remove the codes the same way as the old stile connector is used. All you need to do is use a jumper between the Green wire and the Brown wire, just the same as the old stile. DO NOT touch or connect anything to the other two wires. I use a paper clip bent into a 'U' shape. This means you can use any year, any model VTX1800 service manual's procedures to check and reset the ECU's error codes.

This pic is 'How To Do' from an 02 "C" service manual and works for all models all years. :smoke:
http://www.biglry.com
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/

Biker Wisdom;
You start the game of life with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience.
The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
BIGLRY

Bike: 02 VTX C'tro

Advertisement

Re: 1800 Error Code Re-set Procedure All Models

Postby Bareass172 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:48 am

Great stuff Larry, I added the link to this thread on my ECU codes page - thanks. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Postby HCAbowman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:24 am

Thank you for takin the time to share!!! Will keep that in the archives for sure!!
Here...hold my beer, watch this...
Darkside 205 Bridgestone
11" Progressives
V&H Bigshots
HCAbowman

Bike: 2002 VTX 1800 C

Postby homezy07 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:06 am

Hey I just bought a 2002 VTX 1800 and have barely got to rid it cause of a F1 light, THe bike will start but when you try to accerate it was just bogging and the F1 light was coming on. I pulled the plugs they looked bad not terrible but bad enough put all four new plugs in it was beter but still would accerate like it should and the F1 light was still coming on. I dont think that the F1 light is blinking it is just coming on when it doesnt want to go and then going out when you let off the gas. Wondering if you guys had any thoughts.

Thanks

Homezy
homezy07

Bike: 2002 VTX 1800

Postby Bareass172 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:49 pm

homezy07 wrote:Hey I just bought a 2002 VTX 1800 and have barely got to rid it cause of a F1 light, THe bike will start but when you try to accerate it was just bogging and the F1 light was coming on. I pulled the plugs they looked bad not terrible but bad enough put all four new plugs in it was beter but still would accerate like it should and the F1 light was still coming on. I dont think that the F1 light is blinking it is just coming on when it doesnt want to go and then going out when you let off the gas. Wondering if you guys had any thoughts.

Thanks

Homezy

I replied in your other post. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby greenmachine » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:10 pm

OK...call me an idiot and laugh :lol: all you can, but i can NOT jump the brown & green wires....you should note that as far as mechanics are concerned i am slightly below novice...I mean i can use a screw driver, pliers, wire snips ect....BUT i am trying my best to learn....the F1 light comes on....it however, never blinks

Thank you very much for your webiste,,,the details instructed me to wire blinkers, and an aftermarket license plate holder/brake/tail light....it took me a whole day, BUT I DID IT.
greenmachine

Bike: 2006 VTX1800s

Postby Bareass172 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:12 pm

When you say the FI light comes on but never blinks - is it staying on? When you turn the key on the FI light comes on but doesn't blink as part of a "test" during starting. Once you start the bike the light goes off. As long as it's not blinking you don't have much to worry about.
As far as jumping the wires, all you need is some way to connect them electrically so you can bend a paper clip in half or strip the ends off a piece of junk wire and use it - you just need to make contact between the 2 wires.

Does that all make sense? No need to laugh at anyone asking questions and trying to learn. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Return to Electrical