Custom Leatherwork pt 2

Vendors looking to sell motorcycle-related products please keep your listings here. Any attempt to sell products outside of this forum may result in loss of forum privileges.

Custom Leatherwork pt 2

Postby 05Shadow » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:28 am

Figured I would start a new thread as it's getting tough to wade through the first one and find things. So here's the latest tank bib out of the shop. This one is for a 1998 Shadow Aero 1100. Client supplied the artwork and I tweaked it a bit to get rid of the red. I'm including the progress shots that were in the previous thread so this one is all together. Enjoy!
~Chris

Three Mutts Custom Leather - custom artwork tank bibs, seats, bags
http://www.threemuttscustoms.com
05Shadow

Bike: 2005 Aero 750 & 2006 Spirit 750

Advertisement

Re: Custom Leatherwork pt 2

Postby Bareass172 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Looking good!

Just being curious, how hard is it to die leather in different colors? Is that possible? I've never worked extensively with leather, and mostly what I have done is made things with it, never dyeing it, so I have no idea. If you've already posted pictures with 2 color leather stuff then please forgive me, it's been a long day and my recall is shot. :knife:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Postby 05Shadow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 am

Depends on what the client is looking for really. A straight two-color job isn't as bad, say red text on a black bib...that would simply be masking off the text and dying the background and then dying the red separately.
For something like the bib above it gets more involved as we were shooting for a true stone effect. If you pick up a piece of rock, it's not just gray but it has white, black and gray tones which means layers over layers, masks and some freehand airbrushing. Kind of like painting a bike only less forgiving. Dye can't be removed & fixed. If you screw it up it's either figure out a way to make it work or do the entire project over again.

With the fades that I posted in the other thread, those are more forgiving. You lay down the base color, say burgundy, and then spray the background color and use the airbrush to fade/fan in the edges to make the blend. There's a bit more wiggle room as the bib is simply dyed completely in two colors with the second color simply not covering part of the bib. There are tricks to the masking that can be used. The standards like low-stick tape & paper work in some situations but for hardcore stuff I'll use liquid latex (the stuff used for making thin molds) to mask off areas. It's nice since it's waterproof and peels off when it needs to be removed. The leather under the latex needs to be already dyed and sealed though so the process steps can change.

Long story short, it can be done but it takes WAY more time and planning and costs extra but it can be really worth it. ;) The color job on the bib above took about the same amount of time by itself as it took to do all the tooling and edge lacing whereas a single color job would only take a quarter of the time it takes to just tool it.
Three Mutts Custom Leather - custom artwork tank bibs, seats, bags
http://www.threemuttscustoms.com
05Shadow

Bike: 2005 Aero 750 & 2006 Spirit 750

Postby Bareass172 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Very, very cool... It really puts the craftsmanship into perspective. :thumb:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Return to Motorcycle-Related Vendors Only