John Colter (Coltergeist) accident

Discuss anything non-motorcycle related. This can be about family, friends, and life experiences OR politics, religion and government. Please be mature or risk losing privileges in this forum

Re: John Colter (Coltergeist) accident

Postby Bareass172 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Latest update from John's wife:

Visited John yesterday and he was in good spirits! He knew who every one was but thought he was a pilot and a clown and at LAX and who knows where else he was! Still stubborn and trying to walk..and has fallen again. The man needs a shock collar! God knows I love him!
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Advertisement

Postby Bareass172 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:17 pm

OK everyone, I went to go see John this past Tuesday. I've kept quiet so far because I've been trying to get some things up and running to help him out, but the honest truth is what was recently posted from Anita (John's wife). John has between 0 and 25% of his memory. He knows who people are but he has trouble differentiating between his life and what he's read in books. I know that most everyone wants to sugar-coat this because those of us who know John know that he is a strong minded and proud man. He is a USMC veteran, a police officer with 25 years of service, the LA state captain of the Patriot Guard Riders, and the Vice-President of the Blue Knights Chapter VII. He's a man who has dedicated his life to helping others, I'm certain at his own expense from time to time.

But, with all that said, I'm not sure that everyone (except EJ) can really appreciate the seriousness of John's condition. I don't know all of you well enough to know if you have family or friends who have gone through this, so I'm not slighting anyone. I'm only saying that until I sat with John and tried to carry on a conversation with him I didn't appreciate the seriousness of his condition. He has a long, uphill battle left to regain his memory and ultimately his life.

Here is what I know is going on to help John right now:

The Brotherhood of Valour MC is selling raffle tickets to benefit John Colter and Wallace Britton. Mr. Britton is the Baton Rouge police officer that was involved in a hit and run while working. Tickets are $2/each, the pot will be a 3-way split - 1/3 to John, 1/3 to Wallace, 1/3 to winner. It will be pulled on Aug 28. The person to get tickets from is Terri Casso-Witt. Her email is terribluefire@yahoo.com and her number is 225-931-0176. She'll mail tickets to you if you want to help that way.

Bric Allen has organized a Texas Hold 'Em poker tournament for Sunday, August 4 at The Denham Springs Country Club. I know this is last minute, but I just found out about this myself. The total tournament fee is $110.00 with $50 to the pot, $10 for room rental, $50 to John Colter. The event can be seen here: http://www.facebook.com/events/391532764280119/ if you are on Facebook.

Lastly, there are blood drives going on. John still has a bill at Our Lady of the Lake in Baton Rouge and depending on where you go they may take $15-$20 off his bill for every pint donated. Our Lady of the Lake has a sister hospital in Lafayette and Gonzales where you can donate, but you can also call your local blood center and ask if they will honor the deal.

So there it is, all the stuff currently going on for John. I'm kinda surprised that no one else has posted it before now. I have some other stuff in the works so keep your eyes peeled for more updates, but in the meantime this is what people can do to get involved.

If anyone wants to organize any other events (poker run or the like) get in touch with me and I can give you the details of what else is already going on or being planned so we're not "double planning" the same events.
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby yfx4 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:49 pm

I just read this thread today. He and his family are in my prayers. We have never met.....I still feel like he is a friend from the forum.
Scott
2007 VTX1800R2 1999 Valk IS 2010 Spyder RT SE5
DISCLAIMER: I really have no idea what I'm talking about. If you take my advice on anything do so at your own risk. I'm pretty much clueless across the boarc. I just fiddle until it's fixed or REALLY broken.
yfx4

Bike: 2007 VTX 1800R s2, 2010 CanAm RT, 1999 Valk IS

Postby Bareass172 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:31 am

Alright, here's the update...

I talked with Bryan Dwight of BD's Cycles custom paint and we're doing a custom paint job giveaway to benefit John. For anyone who remembers, we did the same thing for Eazy-E when he had his wreck a few years back. The short version is $10 per entry for a chance to win a $2000 custom paint job. All the details about it are here, along with how to buy your tickets.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/general/custom-paint-job-benefit-for-sgt-john-colter/

Please re-post this information on your Facebook page, local club website, or any other motorcycle forum you're on to spread the word!

If you want a flyer for handing out or posting in your local shop you can download a .pdf version of this information here. If you want these details self-contained for posting on a website, forum, facebook page, etc you can link directly to this image which has all the information ready to go.

If you know John personally and want to wish him well you can request the hospital send him a get well card at this link:

http://www.touro.com/content/card.htm
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Bareass172 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Here are 2 new updates from John's wife, I apologize that they're a little slow in getting here but I'm not on Facebook so I have to get this stuff forwarded to me. :wistl:

8/4/13
update: John seems to be more alert and remembering more with each visit! He is on meds for depression and pain but it seems to be helping. Please visit him, during the week if you can. He told me he was lonely and wanted to come home. He doesn't like being in a hospital but knows he has to wait for the doc to release him. Hopefully, it will be soon! The tenative date is Aug 21. Keep praying so he can come home at that time!

8/7/13
Update!! John is doing leaps and bounds better than last week!! He is at 75%-supervisory level on most everything! His brain went from 0-25% last week to 25-50% this week! His goal is 75%-supervisory level to get released. I go for family training tomorrow and Friday. I will get an update on him next Tuesday and hopefully be able to bring him home!!!!! I'm soooo very happy!

This is all excellent news! I do want to stress this for anyone not familiar with these types of injuries though - John has recovered extremely fast so far, but the path to 90-95% is the easy part (relatively speaking). It is the last 5-10% of recovery that can take many months. Obviously this is great news, but let's not forget John in our thoughts and prayers! :thumb:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby coltergeist » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 am

Just wanted to say thanks and "God Bless" to all who thought of us and/or steered a prayer our way. It all definitely helped. It was definitely a close call. :angel: :angel: :flag:
2003 1800 R - Candy Apple Red - lots of extras
coltergeist

Bike: 2003 Honda VTX 1800R

Postby Bareass172 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 pm

John! How have you been? I haven't called recently because I didn't want to bother you guys as I know you're getting situated back home and still doing rehab.

Is your phone working? I may try to give you a buzz sometime. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby TASSY5 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:42 pm

:flag: :thumb: :buddy: Glad you are doing better John.
Four Wheels move the Body,Two Wheels moves the Soul.

Red Sled II

www.bareasschoppers.com
My pics and videos are at www.photobucket.com Member TASSY5
TASSY5

Bike: 2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3

Postby coltergeist » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:33 pm

To all: Can't thank everyone enough for all the well-wishes and prayers. I guess the boss-man still has some things for me to do here. The number, generosity, and patience of the friends I've made over the years constantly amazes me. It's 9/27 now - wreck was 7/08/13. I'm still not released medically - have some issues with nerve damage to my left arm - but at least I'm home. The doctor just OK'ed me to drive myself yesterday (hooray!) so my wife will likely start going back to work next week - she's been on unpaid leave the whole time. I've been keeping my eyes open for another bike - probably going to stay with the 1800 retro - but that's going to be a little while.

Next Saturday - 10/05 - the Baton Rouge Harley-Davidson is hosting a benefit for me. From 1100 hrs., selling lunches/dinners - alligator and gumbo. Lots of stuff for silent auction. Hope I see some of you there.
2003 1800 R - Candy Apple Red - lots of extras
coltergeist

Bike: 2003 Honda VTX 1800R

Postby Capt. Rory » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:48 am

Sure wish I could join you there, but got to work. Good to hear you are doing better and we still pray for you.
Capt. Rory

Bike: 2004 1300s

Postby Bareass172 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:07 pm

I'll be there John, it'll be nice to see you in person again. Last I saw you was in the hospital and I doubt you remember it. :nana:

If anyone else wants to hitch a ride lemme know. :thumb:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Good to hear from you!
Jack

Bike: 1999 Valk, 2006 Triumph Rocket 3

Previous

Return to Member's Lounge (Off-Topic Discussion)