New project

Share pics of your bike, projects, and/or yourself with everyone

Re: New project

Postby Bareass172 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:24 pm

big bad wrote:I'm pretty sure this don't help.

At least you know... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Advertisement

Postby usmc4295 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:54 am

I'm thinking just name it Harlem Shake....
usmc4295

Bike: 2005 Honda vtx 1300c

Postby Bareass172 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I actually had to look that up, didn't know what it was... :elated:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Bareass172 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:10 am

Pics and build sheet are up on the website here:

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/projects/the-oc-bike/

It took me a couple weeks to sort through the pics and get them up on the website, but at least it's finally done. :elated:

I appreciate all the name suggestions, but nothing really seemed to stick with myself or the owner so I just went simple and unimaginative - "OC" for "Orange Chrome", lol...

:beer: :beer: :beer:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Rory » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:31 am

Capt. Rory

Bike: 2004 1300s

Postby big bad » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Looks great bare, great job. Did you put a few miles on it before you sent it out
big bad

Bike: 1800 f vtx 05

Postby twogunsll » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Hey Mike, the orange and chrome machine looks great. I have to say my friend, you do some great work. I glad to have a friend like you. Keep up the good work buddy. Twoguns
twogunsll

Bike: 2002 VTX 1800 C

Postby Bareass172 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:52 am

big bad wrote:Looks great bare, great job. Did you put a few miles on it before you sent it out

I got about 160 miles on it before it went out. I had hoped to get more, but it rained 2 days the last week before I returned it and I had some minor jetting issues to tweak that took a little longer than expected. All in all the bike was solid though, I wouldn't have given it back if I weren't certain it was all good. I mostly wish I'd been able to log more miles so I could break in the polished brake rotors better and scuff the pads better. It's all good though. :thumb:

Thanks all for the kind words. :elated:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby marky-mark » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:05 pm

The bike looks "GREAT" Mike. Good for you big dawg, and congrats to the proud owner. Between me and you, when I sit here lookin' at all the pics, I'm still gonna think... "El Crucero" :clap:
marky-mark

Bike: '04 VTX 18N3

Postby Bareass172 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:15 am

marky-mark wrote:...I'm still gonna think... "El Crucero" :clap:

And I genuinely appreciated the thought, I just don't know that the owner would have been receptive to it. Not that she was some kinda racist or something, I just don't think it would have fit. :elated:

To be honest, it was hard to find anything I thought would work for her, therefore the generic name. I've been talking with a few mags about possibly doing a spread on it, I'm hoping that if they do they'll come up with a name and I can plagiarize it, lol...
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby marky-mark » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Hey no worries. She's paid for the privilege to call it whatever she wants to... :thumb:
marky-mark

Bike: '04 VTX 18N3

Postby Pman71 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Yep, that looked very sexy! I am sure she was more than pleased with the outcome. Nice job!
Pman71

Bike: 2002 VTX 1800 R

Postby henis » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Paint looks sweet man. Is there such thing as painting motorcycle parts and helmets with spray cans? I like the flat paint look, and wanna do the fenders and maybe a helmet the same way too.
henis

Bike: Honda VTX 1300 R

Postby Bareass172 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Yeah, that's some pricey paint work for sure.

As for doing it with spray cans - I'll tell you what a professional painter friend with over 30 years experience told me when I asked him that EXACT question - don't waste your time and money. He said that for what materials cost the finished product is just too different and not worth it. Of course you can do it, but it'll probably look like you did it with rattle cans. I can tell you a few different tips though... If you're a handy guy then buying a decent gun/compressor can be had for really reasonable prices nowadays and if you're careful with your prep than shooting your own parts can be relatively inexpensive. Now don't get me wrong, there is a mile-wide gap between you and I shooting parts at home and a pro painter with years of experience, but I know several people who bought a harbor freight HVLP (high volume low pressure) gun and shot their own stuff in their backyards. The 2 most important parts are PREP and a clean space to shoot in. Prep is, hands down, the most important part of painting. Bad prep = bad paint. As far as a clean space, this is something many can accomplish themselves with a tarp or some clear plastic hung from the ceiling in a garage. My friend did an entire Jeep body inside an old military tent.
Once you have all that sorted out it's usually very easy to find a good paint shop locally where you can get excellent advice from the counter guys who normally have years of knowledge and experience to share. They can advise you on paint, clear, reducer, activator, or whatever other materials you may need. If, by chance, you have trouble finding a good place locally (which would be unlikely unless you're in a REALLY small town) there are a ton of online paint places. Eastwood is a huge company for this, but they're very far from being the only one.

Other ideas you might enjoy (given that I've seen your build thread) are "painting" with plasti-dip and/or bed liner. While I can't claim that this makes sense to me, it is becoming extremely popular for both bikes and cars. The plasti-dip is easy because if you don't like how it comes out you can just peel it off and redo it. Hell, too many bugs? Peel it off, respray it! The bed liner is more permanent, but there is a lot of info on doing this stuff available online. Because it's gaining popularity a google search returns a lot of good, recent, and relevant results.

If all else fails, remember, for $10 you can take a chance at a custom job AND help out a brother in need...

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/general ... hn-colter/

:thumb:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Showroom