New project

Share pics of your bike, projects, and/or yourself with everyone

Re: New project

Postby Bareass172 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Problem popped up with the chrome, long story and I hate to get too far into it because it looks bad on a chromer who has a long track record of good work. Long story short, some of the chrome had to go back to be redone... :bomb:

Not happy about it at all, but better to deal with it now then after I give it back to my customer. In fact, I'm VERY thankful I discovered it now and am getting it fixed. Chromer took full responsibility and is taking care of it all for free.

The headache of this is the setback in time and explaining it to the customer. I'm very lucky that my customer is understanding that - first this is not my fault and second sometimes getting it right takes time.

At least in the meantime I still have plenty of other work to keep me busy - internally wiring the handlebars, small sub-section reassembly, and prep on the big parts for final assembly. I hate taking the time and effort to formulate a schedule, order everything and have it all sequentially arranged in the pipeline of progress, and then someone or something else outside of your control messes up all that careful planning. :wall:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Advertisement

Postby Pman71 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Yep but, not much you can do. I hope that chrome guy gets those parts back ASAP! He has to see how bad that is for both sides? Never a good thing to have problems in a process with someone who sends you business. Everyone loves your work (from what I have heard) so, I would not think that would be an issues. Sometimes, perfection takes time.
Pman71

Bike: 2002 VTX 1800 R

Postby Bareass172 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:07 am

I've been neglectful in posting updates and pics here, I know. Everything is moving along, just at a snail's pace because of those chrome issues and a couple of other, small, but unexpected problems popping up. The cost of custom when working on bikes that aren't yours is that you never know what you might come across or find unexpectedly that has to be fixed. I mean, I suppose I could ignore stuff like some shops might do, but I don't feel right giving a customer back a bike with known future problems.

Anyways, to satisfy those interested until I get the last few bits back and can finally finish this beast, here are some picks when I got it in a rolling chassis and when I first test fit the fenders.

Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Pman71 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Wow, sexy as hell! I don't think any one will be complaining about the wait. Very beautiful bikes! I would love to see more as you go. Keep up the good work.
Pman71

Postby marky-mark » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Looking good Mike! I've got a N model myself, so I'm definitely biased. I used to have a 13C with a headlight cowl on it. I debated over keeping it to put on my N. Seeing your new build kinda makes me wish I had...
marky-mark

Bike: '04 VTX 18N3

Postby Bareass172 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:08 am

There's no cowl on this one, it would hide that beautifully painted headlight, hehe...

She's coming together, it's amazing how fast you can get the bike in a roller with the front/back ends buttoned up and it LOOKS like a bike but then there is SO MUCH work to be done in between to get all the electrical tied up. I worked all day yesterday (~14 hours) on different aspects of the electrical system. It actually took me an hour and a half just to get all the wires tucked into the headlight so I could fit the HID headlight and get the proper "slack" in the wires coming out of the headlight. I'm also doing accent LED's on this bike which adds a very significant amount of time in both install and wiring.

Looking forward to getting her finished and back to my customer. :break:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby marky-mark » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Bareass172 wrote:

My bad. At a quick glance I mistook this for a cowl...
marky-mark

Postby Bareass172 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:43 am

No worries! :elated:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Pman71 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 am

Yep that is looking really good. I sure hope you are getting compensated well for it. It looks like a ton of work (very nice quality work). I do not think anyone could appreciate the amount of time, energy and money these type of jobs take unless they have done it before. Nice job!
Pman71

Postby Bareass172 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Pman71 wrote:I do not think anyone could appreciate the amount of time, energy and money these type of jobs take unless they have done it before. Nice job!

I could not agree more...

I'm certainly getting compensated for the work, but you know it's never in line with the hours actually spent. I know up front on jobs like this that I'll bill 50-100 hours in labor and spend every bit of 300 hours on the details (maybe more). I know this will probably sound laughable to some people, but it took me 1-1/2 hours to get the headlight back into the bucket with all the new wiring and relays and such. I could never have foreseen that kind of time up front and it sounds ludicrous to say out loud, but it's a ton of time fiddling with wires, test fitting, doesn't fit, start over, etc... I estimate what I believe the work will take me up front, based on reasonable expectations, and that's what I work from. This way the customer knows the costs up front and I don't have to run a clock the entire time I'm working. If a problem surfaces (and they always do) I just deal with it. It's not fun when time runs long and you realize you're not getting paid anymore, but (as cheesy as it sounds) the finished product and a happy customer are good enough for me.

These are fun little projects, and I really believe that it's my attention to details that sets my work apart from others. I know that now everyone would agree, but if you put a bike I do side-by-side with one that is just slapped together there is a visible difference in quality to anyone who looks at the details. For example, most guys would just slap the rear fender kit on the bike - I noticed that when the rear fender was mounted that it was a little high and off-center to the tire. The "body lines" of the fender following the tire and the fender rails lining up with the side covers were a little off. This happens because each frame is very slightly different because of thickness of welds and such. So rather than leave it the way it was I pulled the fender and ground on the frame until everything lined up. Now before anyone says anything, this was not an integral part of the frame I was grinding. It was originally, but you chop the back end of the frame off for this kit so it became stuff that was just getting in the way. :elated:

Anywho, she's coming along really well right now, I'm just being slowed down by missing parts that are still at the chromer. I expect shipment of those parts back to me next week and it's very possible that it'll be rideable by next weekend. Once she's all together it'll mostly just be some minor tweaks to get her dialed in and then back to the customer. This customer lives 5 hours away, so I really need to be sure the bike is dialed in before giving it back, it's not like they can just "drop by" for tweaks.

More pics coming in the next week or so... :pop:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Bareass172 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Well, it's finally done. I have a little tweaking to do to get it dialed in, but the assembly and "figuring out problems" part is finished. I need to tweak the carb, do an oil change, and final adjustments for the customer to be sure that the controls and highway pegs are adjusted how they like. The bike looks incredible, and I'm not just saying that because I worked on it... :nana:

Pics will come soon, going to hold off so the complete thing is a surprise for the customer. Returning it on Saturday, just hoping the weather holds up for me to get a little seat time between now and then.

I need to come up with a name for this one... I have names for all of them, need to figure something out... :huh:

:buddy:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby marky-mark » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Good for you dawg! Can't wait to see it all buttoned up...
marky-mark

Postby Bareass172 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 am

Bike is done, returned to the customer. I have the pics ready to get up on the website, I just need to come up with a name to call this thing... Any ideas or suggestions?

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Rory » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:01 am

Don't ask me, not much for naming things. Hell if not for the wife the dog would still be named Dog and the kids Girl 1 and Girl 2. Never named any of my boat either.
Capt. Rory

Bike: 2004 1300s

Postby twogunsll » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Hey Mike, Twoguns here. Long time no chat.The bike is looking good. Is that bike the same one that was in your shop the day I came by an vivited you for the first time? I don't even remember what I came by for. Oh yea, It was to bring you what I thought was a K&N air filter when it was a used stock air filter,LOL. Gotta say it sure looks good so far. Keep up the good buddy. Later,twoguns.
twogunsll

Bike: 2002 VTX 1800 C

Postby Bareass172 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Capt. Rory wrote:Don't ask me, not much for naming things. Hell if not for the wife the dog would still be named Dog and the kids Girl 1 and Girl 2. Never named any of my boat either.

You sound like me, that's why I'm asking others for help, lol... I will admit that I may have opted for "mutt" over dog, but that's just me, lol. :elated:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby marky-mark » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Since no one else is chiming in with a suggestion...
to me, being a boricua, (a.k.a. puerto rican), the color scheme has a "latino" look to it. If it was mine I'd call it "El Crucero" (The Cruiser). Having said that, I know I'm all by myself thinking that, but that's okay. Bottom line, it's a sweet ride Mike... :clap:
marky-mark

Postby big bad » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 am

I will Always call it orange peel. Pull off the orange layer and you get the white mottled epidermis before you get to the orange
big bad

Bike: 1800 f vtx 05

Postby Bareass172 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 pm

I like all the suggestions, still mulling some over. I have a few more to throw into the mix...

Orange Crush

Valencia (like the orange, duh :elated: )

Orange Glo (It has a ton of orange LED accent lights)

Still nothing that immediately slaps me in the face as a "yes", usually I have to find something and warm up to it over a little bit of time... :huh: :huh: :huh:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby big bad » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:21 pm

I know everyOne is dying to know what the white crap is in an orange peel so here we go.

It's called the "pith" and I hear it's full of fiber and good for you. Some people find it bitter though and some don't like the texture.

I'm pretty sure this don't help.
big bad

Bike: 1800 f vtx 05

PreviousNext

Return to Showroom