Harley batwing fairing on a VTX...

Share pics of your bike, projects, and/or yourself with everyone

Harley batwing fairing on a VTX...

Postby Bareass172 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:03 am

This is going to be my "build thread" for the Harley batwing fairing I modified to fit the VTX. This was a long and complicated project, mostly because I took long breaks. :beer:

But seriously, this was a long project. I'm starting this thread to force me to get the damn pics up on the site so I can post them here. :wistl:

This was done for Tassy's bike, in order to make it fit like he wanted the entire radio mounting section had to be cut out. This left me wondering what to use to run the speakers. I found a lot of "made in China" amplifiers that took USB thumb drives and flash memory cards to read MP3's, but I didn't trust building this project around cheap stuff that might break next week. We finally settled on this unit:

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLMRMP3A/4 ... -Amplifier

It had fair reviews, and did all we wanted. It had a detachable wired volume knob and a 1/8" jack to plug in an MP3 player. We could play music without a radio on this and it was marine rated. :elated:

We then settled on some Polk Audio 6.5" speakers for the outside holes and matching Polk Audio 4" speakers to go where the Harley gauges go. These were also marine rated, waterproof speakers.

The fun part of all this was cutting and extensively modifying the fairing and making our own custom brackets and mounts for the speakers and amplifier. The pics will show all this soon. Thankfully Throttle Up Industries makes the adapters for the 6.5" speakers to fit in the 5.25" holes:

http://www.throttleupindustries.com/speaker_rings.html

More to follow....... :pop: :pop: :pop:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Advertisement

Re: Harley batwing fairing on a VTX

Postby yfx4 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Can't find the smiley thing so..........

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES
Scott
2007 VTX1800R2 1999 Valk IS 2010 Spyder RT SE5
DISCLAIMER: I really have no idea what I'm talking about. If you take my advice on anything do so at your own risk. I'm pretty much clueless across the boarc. I just fiddle until it's fixed or REALLY broken.
yfx4

Bike: 2007 VTX 1800R s2, 2010 CanAm RT, 1999 Valk IS

Re: Harley batwing fairing on a VTX...

Postby Bareass172 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:26 am

Finally got this finished... Did a quick blurb about it for the website and posted all the pics here:

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/project ... g-fairing/

Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Postby TASSY5 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:57 pm

And let me say due to the fact of Mike aka Bare being a perfectionist ,this project came out very nice.
Very clean install, and very detailed workmanship to the faring inner section and entire audio system install.
The Polk speakers sound very good, ( could always be louder ) but overall very good.
I ride with a full face helmet so listening to the radio on the interstate isnt a real option over 70 with my shield down. But with it open up to 60-70 or asround town on the local hwy and roads its great.
I rode for a few weeks again with out the farinf during its modification and i must say Once you have one you will always want one.

thanks again Mike Great Job and a class A set up. You truly are the Perfectionist I know you to be. and I wouldnt Have it done any other way or by anyone else. :clap: :elated: :thumb: :beer: :beer: :cpu:
Four Wheels move the Body,Two Wheels moves the Soul.

Red Sled II

www.bareasschoppers.com
My pics and videos are at www.photobucket.com Member TASSY5
TASSY5

Bike: 2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3

Postby Jack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:15 pm

:clap:
Jack

Bike: 1999 Valk, 2006 Triumph Rocket 3

Postby Pman71 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:52 am

Yep that's beautiful. I will post some of mine here really soon.
Pman71

Bike: 2002 VTX 1800 R

Return to Showroom