Final Drive Service

This is an archive of any information relating to MC drivetrains.

Final Drive Service

Postby big bad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:32 pm

This is for both 1300 and 1800 models. The final drives are the same except for the number of teeth inside

Torque Specs, oil, capacities are all the same

Manual states to replace the fluid at 24000 miles and check it 2x between. I would replace it every 3 years if you don't reach the mileage by then. The final drive can get to 120 degrees, check it once after running down the highway this leads to condensation.

BE CAREFUL the plugs and drain are hollow, so there is no need to tighten them down hard. If you do not torque them go hand tight and 1/8 to 1/4 more. People bust heads off.

The video belows shows how and is a good step for those looking at getting more comfortable doing they're own services
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPTd9suJEQ[/youtube]
big bad

Bike: 1800 f vtx 05

Advertisement

Re: Final Drive Service

Postby Bareass172 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:49 am

I also have the process detailed on my website, but the video really makes it look simple!

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/

The only thing I would add is that doing this on the sidestand really makes filling a breeze, when you hit the proper oil level it runs back out the fill hole - so you know you're done. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Postby John M. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:11 pm

I have a 2007 Honda VTX 1800F2. I have religously used your information for oil changes (I have the 2x4 blocks you recommended) and your information was most helpfull. I now have progressed into changing the oil for the final drive. I just completed yesterday. You describe draining oil while on a level surface and then put 4.1 ounces back in when it is full it will be level with lower edge of fill hole and when you have to much it will drain out. I understand if you get to much it will come out fitting on top. This has not happened on my bike.

Now I was unsure so I checked with my mechanic and he said after he drains it from a level surface on side stand he then puts bike back on lift and fills to bottom of hole. I think he told me that you will use most of the bottle which off the top of my head is 8 ounces or so.

I feel confident that your way is correct I just want to make sure that in my garage floor is level, bike is on side stand with tire turned to left as normal parking and that I have enough oil in drive train filling up to bottom of hole. It was actually still leaking a little while I installed filler cap.

Thank You for your website and your time.

John
John M.

Bike: 2007 1800F

Postby Bareass172 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:38 pm

If your mechanic is filling it on a lift so that the bike is level (not on the sidestand) then he's doing it wrong. You drain it on the sidestand and you fill it on the sidestand. The proper amount of oil is 4.1 ounces when draining and 5.1 ounces if you've completely disassembled/reassembled the entire unit. Honestly, even if the bike were on a lift and level I still doubt you could get 8 ounces into it. The 4.1 ounces is approximately 1/8 of a quart, so whether it's my figure or his figure I don't see it being most of the bottle either.

I use a large syringe like this to fill:

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resourc ... ivesyringe

It's a 60cc size, readily available through Amazon, feed stores, Tractor Supply Co, pet stores that handle larger pet stuff, places like that. Anyways, the 4.1 ounces equals 121.25cc's or about 2 full syringes and you get a dribble out the fill hole.

Don't get me wrong, I understand second-guessing and no one is right all the time, but I take the information I put out on my website very seriously because I know how many people access it. Every time I put together a tech article I send it out to a handful of other mechanic and gear-head friends to proof and make sure all the information is correct. Only after it's been checked over does it get publicly posted, because even I make mistakes. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Postby John M. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Thank you for your prompt response. Please do not think I was taking my mechanics opinion over yours. I was second guessing if I understood correctly the use of side stand for filling. Again thank you very much. You have made it possible to save 70 dollars a hour many times.

John M.
John M.

Bike: 2007 1800F

Postby Bareass172 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:11 am

I don't take it personally at all, that's why I specified that everyone can make mistakes. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Return to Drivetrains