VTX1800 External Fuel Pump peek-a-boo

This is an archive of any information relating to MC carbs & fuel injection.

VTX1800 External Fuel Pump peek-a-boo

Postby BIGLRY » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Well I finally go my hands on an 1800 external fuel pump and tore it into all its itty-bitty pieces (04 up all models except "C" which was changed in 05). :D
First let me say if you have one go bad it can be repaired to a point. You can NOT replace the filter, (Yep it has one) but the pump itself can be changed, I found them for about $150, Complete pump assembly and the only way Honda will sell it is around $375 from the dealers, I'm still looking to see if I can find a better price.
Here is a brief description on what is inside that big black can mounted under the frame.
First is the housing that hold all the parts.

The housing is held together with star head screws and fasteners that are oblong so there is no wrench that fit them, but pliers work fine to hold them and be sure to remove in a cross star pattern so you don't warp anything. Next is a pic of the pump and related parts as you take the case apart.
Note: do NOT twist anything on this pump, but pull everything straight apart, it is a hard pull and that is due to the sealing O-ring on the outlet side of the pump casing that is over the high pressure outlet line and two rubber grommets that hold everything in aliment. The two white plastic pieces on the side are covers, one is the fuel pressure regulator locking cap and the other goes around the base of the pick up sock, both were removed to show clarity of the components

Next are pic of the end pieces. In the first pic you see two lines, short one is the tank vent, long one is the gravity feed line which drops the fuel into the housing, yep the whole canister is full of gas and it is picked up on the other end of the canister. You can see the fat O-ring that seals the high pressure output in pic two.

The nylon sock is on the opposite end of the fuel inlet on the canister.
Plastic housing has been removed to show how sock is hooked on.

Here is end of pump that nylon sock is hooked to.

Next is a look at the filter, it is sealed in the white plastic housing that holds the pump itself. The fuel is picked up through the nylon sock then pushed through the filter then is sent out the high pressure line. I did not want to cut the plastic housing apart to show the filter because I plan on fixing this system and there is no way Honda is going to sell it to me. What you can see by looking in the outlet port is a waffle board design filter medium.
First is pic of the over all filter in its seal plastic housing.
Real close up

There is also a removable fuel pressure regulator that bleeds off excess fuel back into the canister.

I'm sure by now you would like to know what went wrong with this pump, well some how the plastic outlet nipple on the end of the pump itself was busted and fuel was just being pumped around and around inside the canister.

In conclusion I have a few thoughts and ideas concerning this system.
First IMO bad idea on Honda's part to have a non replaceable filter, yea it might be good for 100,000 miles of fuel, but what happens if your painter does a crap job and gets paint into the tank and it migrates to the fuel pump...it is going to clog the filter, or if there is any rust in the system it is going to stop the pump itself and probably burn it up. As to the pump, it uses a turbine vane to make pressure which is far superior than gear pumps, this is also why it is a lot quieter and is able to maintain high pressure during voltage fluctuations, it was designed by Bosh and is the way to go.

If I had one go bad I'd want to see if it was the pump motor and if so just replace it, but if the filter is plugged then off to Honda for a new complete fuel pump.
There is another way and that would be to buy an external 12v high pressure fuel pump and put your own adjustable fuel pressure regulator on it. I have been looking into components that could be used and it looks like you could do it for around $100/$125. I think you could even put it all where the pump mounts now.
Well that is about all there is and if you have any ? just ask or any ideas lets hear them.
http://www.biglry.com
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/

Biker Wisdom;
You start the game of life with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience.
The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
BIGLRY

Bike: 02 VTX C'tro

Advertisement

Re: VTX1800 External Fuel Pump peek-a-boo

Postby Bareass172 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:10 am

Good stuff, thanks Larry! ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Postby Da Chief » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:59 am

WOW! This is like being in VTX Tech School. It might be me, but I just love learning how things work and how they're made. Excellent read! Thank you.

And, I don't even have an external pump, but while I had my internal out of my 03 C, I looked at it very closely (just curious). Good stuff.
2003 VTX C-TRO, Filled Retro Fender, Filled tank seam, Thunder Hurricane, V&H, Jardine forwards, Custom BDs Cycles paint, Hydroedge 205.
Da Chief

Bike: 2003 VTX 1800 C-Tro

Postby sassage » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:29 pm

great info big guy...I always seem to re-read your posts a few times to let it all soak in
2002 VTX1800 C/F/R, Custom Paint by Hoss1
2000 VTR1000F Superhawk, yellow

A witty saying proves nothing.
sassage

Bike: 2002 VTX1800C, 2000 VTR1000F

Postby BIGLRY » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:44 pm

UPDATE
I was going through some of my stuff today and found an 02 "C" internal fuel pump assembly that I had cannibalized and sold some parts off of. Low and behold I discovered the pump itself is the same pump used in the external models.
I replaced the bad pump in the external system with the one from a "C" internal and it is working fine.
Again, like the external pump...Honda will not sell just the pump, but you can get some of the other parts for the internal system like a filter.
Anyone needing an external fuel pump for their X, I have one for sale. :D
http://www.biglry.com
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/

Biker Wisdom;
You start the game of life with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience.
The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
BIGLRY

Bike: 02 VTX C'tro

Postby Bareass172 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:31 pm

You know, I wasn't going to say it but when I saw these pics you posted I had the same thought.

I checked these pics from my site for modifying the fuel pump pickup and noticed very similar appearance between the 2 but decided not to say anything because I wasn't sure. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Postby sassage » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 am

using the same pump almost makes sense...not something Honda always does :roll:
2002 VTX1800 C/F/R, Custom Paint by Hoss1
2000 VTR1000F Superhawk, yellow

A witty saying proves nothing.
sassage

Bike: 2002 VTX1800C, 2000 VTR1000F

Postby HCAbowman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:38 am

Awesome read man!! Thank you!! Ive got a C, but thats still cool!! Thank you for takin the time to do this for us!
Here...hold my beer, watch this...
Darkside 205 Bridgestone
11" Progressives
V&H Bigshots
HCAbowman

Bike: 2002 VTX 1800 C

Return to Carbs & Fuel Injection