VTX 1800 wax valve & idle adjustment screw details

This is an archive of any information relating to MC carbs & fuel injection.

VTX 1800 wax valve & idle adjustment screw details

Postby danrey414 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:49 am

I attached the above photo to show the Wax Valve I removed from my VTX. I examined the valve after removal looking for an answer to my problem. I noticed the small pit marks to the side of the channel in the brass looking piston on the valve.

Looking at the entire setup where the idle adjustment screw interfaces with the wax valve, it became obvious that the idle screw is supposed to enter the wax valve in a channel that exists in the brass looking piston part of the valve. On my VTX, for some reason the channel and the idle adjustment screw did not line up. The idle adjustment screw was hitting the wax valve to the side of the channel and caused the pit marks that are visible on the wax valve.

The channel on the wax valve must be in alignment with where the idle adjustment screw enters the from below. With everything in proper alignment, the idle adjustment screw functions correctly and causes the wax valve piston to move in and out in such a way that it affects the idle of the VTX. I don't think this alignment was ever correct on my VTX since I was never able to adjust the idle by using this idle adjustment screw and I did not know how it functioned or in order to realize the idle adjustment screw did not line up with the channel in the wax valve. The photo below shows the entire combo with the idle screw coming up from below and entering the channel in the wax valve (looks brass colored). You can see the adjustment screw end that looks like a metal pin in the channel of the wax valve.

When this is working as it should, the spring on the idle adjustment valve compresses as the idle screw enters the wax valve channel.
danrey414

Bike: 2003 Honda VTX 1800s

Advertisement

Return to Carbs & Fuel Injection