Load equalizer location

This forum is for technical questions and topics relating specifically to Yamaha motorcycles. Any non-tech content will be moved to the appropriate forum or deleted.

Load equalizer location

Postby filipk69 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm about to build the load equalizer for my new LED turn signals as per http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/electri ... equalizer/. I noticed there is bit of space behind the rear light and I was wondering if it would be safe to put the equalizer there for my rear turn signals. These will be used as turn signals only and NOT as running lights. If all goes well I want to replace the front ones as well and I thought of having that equalizer stored in the front light bucket. Am I asking for trouble as far as overheating??
filipk69

Bike: 2010 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom

Advertisement

Re: Load equalizer location

Postby Bareass172 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:12 am

I would shy away from putting it in the enclosed headlight unless there is plenty of room in there or there is good airflow through the headlight. These load equalizers generate a lot of heat, especially if you get stuck at a long red light waiting to turn or forget your blinker after a turn. I have never seen one of these "home made" load equalizers (from my plans) melt or cause an issue, but I have seen more than one Kuryakyn-made load equalizer get so hot that it melted. In some cases when the Kuryakyn ones melt they also damage other wires that are too close creating a whole mess of other problems. The best recommendation would be to zip tie it to the frame or some other piece of metal that can help act as a heat sink and/or someplace that gets airflow as you move - but normally just placing it somewhere that isn't enclosed and bundled up to prevent it from dissipating heat will work just fine. I do try to keep them separate from other wires just to play it safe, that way if something terrible did happen at least it won't damage the rest of the electrical.

Realistically you can put it almost anywhere and it should be fine, I just don't think an enclosed environment like the headlight is the best idea. They tend to be cramped quarters already, full of important electrical wires, and you compound the heat issue because of the headlight's warmth.

As a side note, have you considered one of these?

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/electri ... t-flasher/

I haven't confirmed fitment for many other makes/models, but most metric bikes and even a lot of Harley's can use this flasher module. I checked the Custom Dynamics website and it does show fitment for your bike.

http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_fla ... OT_Flasher

It looks like it may be a hard wire installation rather than just plug and play, but this flasher eliminates the problem of heat from load equalizers, one flasher will work for both front/rear blinkers, and without load equalizers you are actually freeing up that power to be used for other accessories on your bike. Just something to consider. ;)
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Postby filipk69 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Bare,
Thanks for the heads up and the extra links
Filip
filipk69

Postby filipk69 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi Bare,
Just a quick thank you for pointing out the flasher from Custom Dynamics, finally arrived today (I'm in Australia), I put it straight in - works like a charm.
Filip
filipk69

Postby Bareass172 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:10 am

Really glad it worked out for you. :thumb:
Bareass172
Site Admin

Bike: 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

Return to Yamaha Motorcycle Tech